Chevron Pallet Wall Art

Picture

Today’s post is another nursery decoration.  I still haven’t managed to get any of the big nursery projects (changing table, closet, etc) done, but decorations I have.  I should probably start worrying about those bigger projects soon.  The third trimester is here and I’m not getting any smaller.

The idea for this particular project actually came from a rug that I saw somewhere along the way.  It was a chevron pattern with a few cute colors that I thought complemented each other well.  I decided it would look even better on the wall.  So I set about drawing up my idea in the sketchbook.

Picture

Obviously, my proportions were a little off, but you get the idea.  I decided to stick with my three nursery colors: pink, gold, and white.  And I thought it would be cool to make the piece from pallet wood because I have so much of it.

I started with delegation.  Taking apart pallets is hard enough as it is.  Add a baby bump to the mix and it’s virtually impossible.  So naturally, I enlisted the hubby.  He was happy to help.  That is, until I chose the pallet.  It was a stubborn little bugger.  Lots of nails and wood that splintered too easily. We probably ended up trashing more of the wood than we actually used, but we managed to get what I needed.

Picture

I used my miter saw to cut out the pieces.  The majority of them needed to be the same size so it was manageable work.  I cut one piece the size that I wanted and just used that to trace lines on the rest of them.  I assembled them as I went along until I had the base of my structure.

Picture

Once the base was done, I drew some lines along the edges to get a rectangle shape.  Then I used the miter saw again to cut off the excess pieces.

Picture

Once all the pieces were cut, I began painting.  I decided it would be easier to paint the pieces individually and then attach them.  Instead of trying to paint them all after they were already assembled.

I started by spray painting them all with a quick layer of primer.  I figured that would cover up some of the knots that were darker than the rest of the wood.  Then I chose three different acrylic paints.  Eventually, I ended up painting the pinks a darker color that I had leftover from another project.  The acrylic pink was just a little too light.

Picture

Picture

Once I had the pieces painted, I started attaching them to each other.  I used wood glue to stick them together along the edges.

Picture

It was right around this step that I decided that the project would look better as two pieces instead of one big one.  So I separated the wood down the center and just assembled to two sides.  Once the wood glue dried, I flipped everything over and stapled the seams along the back using my staple gun.

Picture

Then I turned everything back over and started taking some pictures.

Picture

They were done!  I decided to prop them up on the little dresser in the nursery for now. Eventually, I want them to go up on the wall.  When that time comes, I will add some sort of hooks to the back of them so they can hang.  For now, I will just take the easy way out.

With this project done, my nursery decorations are starting to come together pretty well.  Of course, I’ve only managed to fill two shelves on one piece of furniture in the room, so I have a long way to go.  Stay tuned for more little girl decorations in the future!

Picture

 

Leave a Reply