Baby Globe Makeover

Picture

 This is a quick post about this little globe I decorated for the nursery.  I wish I could say it was an original idea, but that would be a lie.  I actually found a very similar, full-sized, globe on Etsy that someone was selling and I REALLY wanted it.  However, it was $175 and I just wasn’t willing to pay even close to that amount for a simple decoration.  You can see (or buy) the original here.

So instead of shelling out double what I paid for my baby’s crib, I decided to try and replicate the item.  I started by searching for a globe.  It sounds easier than it actually was.  Globes are pretty expensive.  I even tried searching for ones that were out of date and selling at a discount.  I couldn’t find anything that fit my criteria.  I actually stumbled across this particular one at TJ Maxx.  It’s a mini globe, which I thought was even more adorable and appropriate for a nursery, and it was $8.

Picture

 I snatched it up right away.  Can’t beat $8.  When I got home, I immediately started disassembling it.  I removed the ball and used painter’s tape to tape up the bottom and any other parts I didn’t want to get spray paint on.  Then I put the parts in a cardboard box out in the yard.

Picture

 I used a metallic gold spray paint to cover all the silver parts.  I did a few light layers to get it nice and shiny.

Picture

  Picture

 While I let the structure dry, I worked on the round part.  I used the same cardboard box method and sprayed a few lights layers of primer to cover up all the parts and make it easier to paint.  Once it was dry, I used a pink acrylic paint to paint a few more layers.

Picture

 When that part was dry, I drew out my phrase that I wanted to paint on the globe.  I used “You are our greatest adventure”, because she is…

Picture

 Then I used a gold metallic acrylic paint to fill in the letters.  It took me a while to get it the way I wanted it.  I used a very curly font that is almost hard to read when painted on, but I was happy with it.

Once everything dried, I reassembled all the parts and placed the new decoration in the nursery.  It was just what I wanted!  So cute!  And so easy.

Picture

 Just one more item on the nursery list completed.  Now if only I could get to the larger stuff.  I’m hoping to get a good chunk of the nursery closet done this weekend.  Fingers crossed that I don’t continue down my road of procrastination that I’ve been on the last few weeks.

Stay tuned for more!

Leave a Reply